Wednesday, July 21, 2010

CSA Week 6!

Post by: Ivo

Thoughts of an apprentice...
Carrying the bin filled with the Swiss chard I just harvested. I think about how these are all being distributed for our share holders. To see my efforts… and the efforts of the chard…they had to go. I think about all the leaves which had leaf miner (Chard struggles with this pest) on them that I picked off; there were just as many leaves picked that had leaf miner as were picked for the CSA. Some of the plants which only had a few leaves still left that were good had to be picked to meet our demand; are those plants going to be ok for the following harvest? Did they get enough water? “I’ve been watering pretty well” I assure myself. Regardless of my efforts to mulch our good crop some plants become vulnerable to a fungus at its roots. Whenever gofers tunnel under our beds (too bad their tunnels run through my entire section) they expose the roots stressing them further. The tunnels and leaf miner are indirect causes of this fungus. Most persevere. I have to see what will happen as the season progresses and feel free. Nothing serious, just a few thoughts of an apprentice.

What's in your basket this week? ... garlic, kale, parsley, lettuce, carrots, apples, summer squash, basil, cilantro, plums, snap peas, onion, dill, cucumbers, cut greens, chard, and nectarines.


No comments:

Post a Comment