Thursday, August 19, 2010

CSA - Week 10


August 19th- The abundance in the garden instills in us a powerful sense of gratitude and humility, and simultaneously keeps us on our feet as there’s always more to do to keep it coming! Our community of apprentices continue to learn the many lessons of food production. Since I arrived at Camp Joy I have had the privilege and responsibility of caring for my own section of the garden and I have had the opportunity to experiment with cheese making and preserving. With the guidance and support of seasoned homesteaders I have had many successes (as well as valuable failures).

It is always exciting to experience the first moments of the season. It seems like there have been many of those moments lately. Most recently, we canned our first round of apple juice. It was an early morning gathering in the kitchen as we came together as a community to cut into barrels of apples. It was a lengthy process pressing the apples and canning many gallons of juice on the stove. However, I know that the Camp Joy family will be grateful for apple juice throughout the winter months!

No comments:

Post a Comment